Monday, February 2, 2009

I tawt I taw a Tweety Tat? Twitter Devours Another Twitt-tee

I finally started following people on Twitter. I signed up quite a while ago but haven't done anything until tonight. Things that make you go hmmmm.....

New Blog: Twitter Star Date ~ Sometime in the now

"Power begins with mastering the means of communication. Whomever owns the words conveying the message, is in control."

Hmmm, does it sound insightful, or merely give the appearance of trying to sound profound? Do the quotation marks give it any more credibility than if they were not there? Do they make you wonder who said it? Usually, a phrase in quotation marks implies an erudite, philosophical person from history, or one making history, said something worth repeating.

The two sentences in quotations above refer to power, communication and control. Those of us who write and live in the realm of Public Relations, know that when order has been broken, a breach of an image has occurred, or a disaster needs a leader… conveying the message in the right way can keep the situation under control.

I have no desire to give a history lesson, or to regurgitate recent news. However, I will cite two examples: the 1982 Tylenol® scare and the recent airplane landing in the Hudson River. Within less than a year after the poisonings, Americans were chewing Tylenol like candy because we trusted Johnson & Johnson again. Within moments after the landing, Twitter made Captain Sully a hero.

Anyway, I'm a wordsmith and I've been surfing around Twitter for the first time. This led me to a number of different sites about copywriting, freelancing, getting published, etc. I am disheartened by the experience, because I see so many other businesses similar to mine…and they have REAL websites! (I blame finances and the fact that my boyfriend has his own marketing business. One of his services is to CREATE websites for clients! The shoemaker's children go barefoot, syndrome…get it?)

Fortunately, I have education and experience on my side. Some sites I visited were created by delusional saps who can't write their way out of an avalanche with a hot pen. (Mine, don't steal it.) Apparently, they'd fallen for some "get rich by writing from home" scheme. As soon as the technology is available, I plan to reach through their monitors and shake them by the shoulders. YOU CAN NOT GET RICH THIS WAY! Especially if you have no skill as a writer! Many of us have years of training, education…hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loan debt…all to become great writers and it will happen for us before it will happen for you!

I often hear, "JK Rowling had never written before…." Yes, but she has talent! She has an extraordinary imagination and ability to weave descriptions that transport the reader to another place, where we believe in witches and wizards. The real secret behind Rowling is that she IS Lord Voldemort and we're all under a spell to buy, buy, buy!

I am a huge fan of the series and the novel I am writing now is actually part of a series as well. But that's for another blog entry, on another night. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment