Wednesday, May 27, 2009

One Manchester United Fan's Pre-Game Jitters

I keep looking at the clock. I know it makes the time go by slower to do so, but I can't help it. There are five hours until Manchester United square off against Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League Final. If Manchester United retain the trophy, they'll be the first team in history to ever do so. Like Sir Alex Ferguson recently said, this is a team that is good at firsts. They were the first and only team to ever win the Treble. They won all three European titles in the same season, the Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League. Since they weren't able to make a ten year anniversary win of the Treble, being the first to retain the Champions League title will be good compensation.

Four and a half hours to go. I'm trying to stay busy by reading the game predictions and interviews from the teams, but it only it only gets me more excited. I should try and write one of my other blogs. My paid satellite internet and satellite TV blogs are going to be written after the game. Although, I could make them tomorrow's blogs if I go ahead and write something today.

Why do we get so worked up over our teams? I know psychologists have done studies about how the need to belong to a group is satisfied by being a fan of a sports team.. We live vicariously through the victories of our teams and we suffer with them when they fall. But how does it start, why do we choose our teams?

Often, the team is chosen for you. The city you live in might become the team you follow due to the sense of hometown loyalty, plus there is the ease of enjoying local games with others. We often love the team our family identifies with, alma maters, or birthplaces left behind. I'm a woman in Charlotte, NC who fell in love with "the beautiful game" of European Football (soccer), and the team, Manchester United. Both are far across the pond. How did it happen? It's almost embarrassing to admit but it started with a soap opera. I was into the show, Footballers Wives and realized I was interested in the game that they would talk about as an aside to the drama. I began watching the soccer channel, learned the various leagues and teams, then discovered Manchester United. Now, I've been told that loving this particular team is like being a Yankees fan, but what exactly does that mean? The Yankees baseball team aren't always on top, they have good marketing but they aren't cliché to follow. Nor is Manchester United. I've been with this team when they were in 17th place back in 2007 and they still managed to get up and win the Premier League title and the World Cup that season. What's not to love? I've seen this team place rookies and under 21's on the pitch because Sir Alex didn't have many other players due to an extensive injuries list. Owen Hargreaves has been gone so long, people have forgotten he's a member of the team. We just saw the return of Wes Brown after missing over half of the season. I'm grateful Rio Ferdinand is fit to return and will be protecting keeper Edwin Van der Sar in today's game. I know these guys, they get up and play when it hurts, and they climb back to the top when they drop low. That's why I love this team.
I've stuck by Manchester United not because they're the cliché "best of Europe" but because they simply are the best in Europe. Over the past few years as I watched the game and learned more about it, I have grown fond of a number of teams. I am a fan of Inter Milan and AC Milan from the Serie A League, I liked the Blackburn Rovers until they screwed Paul Ince. I enjoy watching other teams because they are good and have talented players. I can imagine a dream team of today's footballers and those of any decade mixed together.
I became a fan of the game first, and then I became an fanatic about the team, Manchester United. Today, regardless of the outcome, I will still be a fan of this team and I will continue to love the beautiful game.
Four hours to go.

1 comment:

  1. Very good blog! I understand how you feel when supporting a team! I, myself am not from Manchester it is about an hours drive away but i grew up watching this team. I hate it when people call me a "Glory Supporter" because i support a successfull team.
    When I pulled my shirt off my coat hanger this morning i felt a knot in my stomach filled with nerves, excitment and pride!

    Only a few more hours to what should be one of the greatest football matches in history, and it makes me feel so proud to know the me and my team are apart of this! =)

    Enjoy the big game! I'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete