Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Twitter as Social Media

This article appears in Saathee magazine's June 2009 issue.


Last month's edition of Saathee featured a terrific article introducing you to Twitter, by Gail Martin of DreamSpinner Communications. She explained the 140 character system conveying ideas called, "Tweets" and gave some great advice on using Twitter to increase your business's visibility.
Twitter can be a valuable tool to generate traffic to your business's website and raise the number of hits you receive on a regular basis. If you're a blogger, your subscription levels can go up markedly with a few well spoken tweets.
The popularity of Twitter has increased over the last couple of years, and savvy Tweeters have been using the service to generate income, build brands and even raise money for charities. Google has seen the value, and as recently as April 2009, was trying to negotiate their way into acquiring the upstart. Twitter holds the key to the best real time database and search engine on the Internet, one to which not even Google can compare.
Companies are listening to what consumers say about their customer service through tweets. In order to protect their brand, companies are respond in real time on Twitter. Complaints about a business can be answered immediately, because Twitter's search engine brings comments to the attention of public relations and marketing departments' the moment they are sent into cyberspace. All it takes is a "hashtag" ( pound sign) in front of any name or word, and a grouped conversation, appears when a search is completed. Whomever is talking about that subject in Twitter, will pop up.
Here's an example: I use a program called, "Tweet Deck" that allows me to have several columns of Twitter conversations at once. I have a column devoted to my @replies, which my personal conversations, I have other columns with my business interest of #copywriting and #editing, another column with my personal passion of #ManchesterUnited, and another column with a friend's name, which doesn't need the hashtag but their handle instead with an @ symbol. So, let's say I stay at Acme hotel one night and have a terrible experience. In my 140 character tweet, I might say, "Terrible guest service at #Acmehotel last night. Avoid it, I won't be back. Left with bedbug bites, too." Now, since I have the hashtag in front of Acme Hotel's name all in one word, and they most likely have a column with their name just like I have columns with my personal interests, they're going to see my tweet come up right away. If they are working hard to make a good name for themselves and manage their reputation, a representative will email me immediately or tweet me, and ask that I call them or inquire as to what they can do to make things right for me.
Companies that want to protect their brand and their revenue, are creating full-time positions by a range of titles such as, Social Media Marketing Coordinator, Online Media Marketing Manager, and Blogger. Earning income through Twitter is just as possible as it is through any other online media outlet. Personally, more than one third of my current clientele has come from Twitter. The columns I mentioned earlier, #copywriting and #editing, are what helped me to find a number of jobs and a couple of steady writing gigs. I literally answered the call of a few 140 character cries for help to the effect of, "Does anyone know a good copywriter to help with some SEO's?" and "Any editors out there that can work on a project, send me an email." I've started blogging professionally for a couple of marketing companies and I write SEO (search engine optimization) articles for them as well. The occasional plea to write a press release has been sent out, and whomever gets to the person in need first, or whomever's work samples and prices suit the client's needs best, are the ones who get the jobs.
Pleas for help of a different nature are also met on Twitter. This past February, Twestival (Twitter + festival) took place throughout 200+ cities, worldwide in a simultaneous online broadcast. The event was held in order to bring Twitter communities together and raise money for Charity:Water, an organization that builds wells to bring safe drinking water to developing nations. The entire Twestival raised more than $250,000 and Twestival Charlotte raised enough money build a well in Ethiopia. Asheville and Raleigh also participated. Other organizations, such as animal rescue groups have figured out the benefits to setting up Twitter accounts that link to FaceBook pages or other websites. Word has spread to make Tuesdays a day of charity giving and the reminder to give is "retweeted" throughout the Twitter community.
Recently, Twitter downsized the "neighborhood" we all hang out in by taking away the ability to see Tweets by anyone whom we do not follow (these are called the @replies). Many of us feel this defeats the whole purpose of Twitter. If someone says something clever in their 140 characters, we go to their Twitter page, click on their website, see what they're about and follow them. Without the option of seeing @replies of people we don't know, we have to go to the pages of each individual person we follow, or who follow us and click on who they're talking to. However, once you find clever people, stick with them and most likely, you'll find that the people they follow are worth following. Also, look for common personal or business interests, see if they have more than a few hundred followers, take the time to see what they've tweeted in the last few days. If they've said anything worthwhile, or you like their website, follow them. While you're at it, give me a try! @WendyWells


Wendy D. Wells is President of WD Wells Writing and Editing, LLC
She is a Charlotte, NC based, Telecommuting Copywriter, Professional Blogger and Editor.
wwells@wendywellswrites.com

1 comment:

  1. Great advice Ms. Wendy! I probably should be talking to you with regards to my career, or maybe I should say it's pending resurgence. LOL

    ReplyDelete